What Is Index Fund
Not many people in India know about Index funds. But as an investor, it is wise to know about all the types of funds to choose the one that suits you the best. So let us understand Index funds in detail.
What are index funds?
Index funds is a type of mutual fund with a portfolio made to manage or track the components of markets index. These funds provide broad market exposure, low portfolio exposure, and low operating costs. These funds follow specific rules and standards that do not alter whatever the state of the market. They are also known as exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
Index funds are also called passively managed funds that include no fund manager. The main advantage of such a strategy is lower management costs. These are generally considered as ideal core portfolio holdings for retired people. The idea of Index funds has not worked well in India until now. But, they are a huge in the USA. Since 2007 to 2008, there has been a slight growth from 0.2% to 0.8%.
Tips for Investing in Index Funds
If the idea of investing in Index funds appeals to you, follow the tips below before making an investment:
- If planning to invest in Index funds , it is best to have a broad-based Index funds . This means it should cover the majority of the market. The Nifty top 100 is one such example.
- If you are a beginner at investing, then Index funds is a good idea, to begin with. It will give you exposure to a broad-based portfolio at a low cost.
- Some of the funds are also available as exchange traded funds. The main difference between ETFs and mutual funds is that ETFs are listed on the stock exchanges like stocks. This makes it easy for buying and selling of stocks. An investor can use their Demat account and trading account for investment.
Each stock has a different weightage in the index. The portfolio of an Index funds is also allocated in the same way. For example, if Reliance Industries has a weight of 10% in an index, a fund in the same index will also allocate 10% of the portfolio. These kinds of the portfolio are ideal for people who do not wish to take the fund manager risk.
What are the advantages of Index Funds?
- The portfolio is based on the particular index, there is less churning of the portfolio. Hence, it saves costs on brokerage.
- With the minimum involvement of fund manager, the charges are also lower as compared to actively managed funds.
- Usually, funds can be bought or sold according to the NAV at the end of the day. However, with Index funds, one can buy and sell anytime during the day at the price prevailing at that time. Hence, one can take the advantage of the price not available otherwise.
- Interestingly, none of the Index funds has shown negative results. This shows that Index funds can limit the losses.
Many believe that Index funds will take the time to become popular in India. The returns from Index funds are generally lower, hence investors try to avoid such funds. But it can be a good investment option for investors looking to minimize risks in doing so.
Now that you know the advantages of Index funds and have the tips to invest in index funds, get started at the earliest and investing in them!
To make the process of investing in mutual funds easier and quicker, choose Angel Bee. With the Angel Bee app, one can start investing within minutes. Tracking your fund performance is just a tap away. With no hectic paperwork to go through, this is definitely a smarter way of investing and becoming rich!